Search with Google

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Things to do before I leave for Devon

I have spent the past week trying to tie up loose ends. Some were work related others social. I count myself fortunate to have a good number of close friends and I have been trying to see them, or at least talk to them prior to my departure - you would think I was on my way to the moon!

On Saturday I went with Helen and the boys to London for a day out. There was the train journey there which the two young ones loved thoroughly, although Joe was somewhat concerned that we didn’t see the Fat Controller! They were even more thrilled with the cross town jaunt on the underground trains. We walked along the Thames embankment down to Whitehall and then up by the Cenotaph to Trafalgar Square, by way of a McDonalds (sorry Jamie Oliver!) Nelson looked mighty dapper atop his column. The last time I was at Trafalgar Square it was very dreary looking. I think Mayor Ken’s anti pigeon crusade may be showing positive results. We then headed back to Euston and caught the train home. This may seem very dull to some people, but when you are about to say goodbye to your children and not see them for long periods of time it is worth savouring every moment with them.

Today I went with Helen to the stables where we keep our horse; Sailor. He is a bay thoroughbred gelding who stands 16,3hh (that’s 5’7”.) He was originally a Point-To-Point horse, but he only has reverse gears, so he never won anything. Helen got him when he was eight and enjoys hacking out on him along the local bridleways. When he was younger she did some eventing on him and even has a few rosettes to prove that he isn’t really a donkey in disguise! He is now 20 and we love him dearly. I never sit on him for fear that his legs will splay in four different directions. I am, however responsible for the more important part of owning a horse, in fact I even have a coffee mug to prove it. It says No.1 S**t Shoveller! Next weekend will be the last time for a while that I will see the old boy. I go up most mornings at six o’clock to muck him out, but that duty will fall to Helen soon, although I am sure she will find someone else to do it for a fee…

I can reveal the name of one half of the culinary duo that are going to tantalise the taste buds of our future patrons; Karen Tucker. Karen lives in the village and has an excellent culinary pedigree. I am currently helping her put the finishing touches to our menus and believe me, the food will be great. Karen is ably assisted by another local lady and some of you may already know her, especially if you like chocolate puddings (that’s the only clue you are getting as to her identity!)

Aside from that, it’s been boring stuff such as VAT registration, Inland Revenue forms and supplier account opening. I have had to speak to the Police in Totnes about my licence and they have said that they will pay me a visit. I’m sure I paid that parking ticket, honestly officer!

Earlier this week I received a really nice email from a lady called Betty. She lives in New Zealand but spent part of her life in Torcross. She emailed me to say that she was of the opinion that Euchre was introduced by the American Servicemen stationed in the area during the war. I am quite interested in that period and its effects in the South Hans area, so this added another patch to the quilt of wartime history that touched the lives of so many people from the area.

I finish my current employment on Thursday and will be spending the night with my colleagues. I think I may have a headache on Friday! I am going to maintain a connection with my friends at Eastern Telephones. I hope that they will come and visit, but I am also going to do some consultancy work for them too. So if you need any Telecomms advice, give me a shout. The downside is my car will have to go on thursday too. I do have Land Rover Defender, but Helen wants to keep that with her, but don't worry. Tim has a vehicle lined up. It is a white Suzuki Vitara Jeep. Yes, that's right. I will be driving a cross between a car that Ken and Barbi would love and something a hairdresser with a problem would have. You have been warned.

I am going to be in the village from the 27th November and will be there permanently from the 30th.

No comments: