Search with Google

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The deed is done!

Well there's no turning back now! We have signed the legal documents and we are all systems go for the 1st December. I felt slightly embarrassed as people who I did not know told me how pleased they were to hear that I was to become the new landlord of The Provi'. I have a good memory for faces, but I am an absolute disaster when it comes to remembering names, so I hope I will be forgiven the odd slip up on that front. I can't say enough about how friendly the locals are in East Prawle. Helen and I are relative strangers, but everyone, without exception, has been so kind and generous with their words of encouragement. We are both grateful and we hope to get to know them more in the coming weeks.

I am very excited by the food side of things at the pub. I was shown sample menus by my chefs at the weekend. I want to be able to tell you who these culinary wizards are, but as I haven't asked permission to use their names here I will stay intentionally vague for the time being, but suffice to say, they are really enthusiastic and professionally competent and most importantly, villagers too.
One chap who I found very engaging used the word, pulchritude, in a discussion about a freshly poured pint. I love words and their meanings and admire anyone who has the courage to enhance a conversation with a choice word or two that is not in common usage. I think I may make a note of unusual words used in the bar and give a prize each month to the person who has used the best word, in the correct context (in my opinion) that month.

I have made a decision regarding the beer at the pub. Initially I will keep the existing brands on, certainly until the new year, but I am going to try and get a local guest ale on before Christmas. I have spoken with a local brewer and think we may have just the thing to sit alongside the Spitfire and Dartmoor IPA. Hope that's not famous last words?
Driving back home today was a rather strange experience. It dawned on me that I won't make this particular journey with Helen and the boys again for the foreseeable future. The next time they come to East Prawle their journeys to and from will be minus Dad!

3 comments:

txdave said...

You write well, interesting.

Maybe more color, photos, something to liven up the gray. See wht I mean:

http://blogs-apart.blogspot.com

http://browniesforbreakfast.blogspot.com

Gumby said...

You could liven it up with banners and smiley faces bouncing inanely over the page, but it seems to me that it would distract from the strength and clarity of your writing.
Great subject matter...and you have an easy, conversational tone.
Cheers!

Carmennzhg said...

You could liven it up with banners and smiley faces bouncing inanely over the page, but it seems to me that it would distract from the strength and clarity of your writing. Great subject matter...and you have an easy, conversational tone. Cheers!