Search with Google

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Getting there gradually...

We are getting nearer to December 1st and things are slowly falling into place. We have spoken with various suppliers and hopefully will maintain a relationship with existing ones too. All things being equal, we will be able to sign the lease documents next week. There was a slight hiccough on the legal side and I learnt a valuable - and very nearly costly lesson. However, all's well that ends well. It is important to Helen and me that the pub be a focal point for the local community. We recognize that the other village pub enjoys the patronage of many of the locals especially when they put on musical events that I know are very good indeed, but we hope that we can encourage some of villagers to visit us on occasion. There is always an element of uncertainty about a new landlord. Will the pub dramatically change? Will it be good or bad? Will the beer be worth drinking? All of these are important questions and I hope we can assuage the concerns that people will have. Here are some of the things that I can promise in advance of serving my first pint.

  1. There will be a warm welcome for families.
  2. Dogs will be welcome too, as long as their owners don't make a mess!
  3. There will be no juke box, but you may have to endure some of my taste in background music!
  4. I will continue in Arnie’s footsteps by supporting the Air Ambulance as my charity of choice.
  5. The food served will be basic pub fayre, cooked by locals and most importantly; using locally produced ingredients.
  6. I would gladly welcome approaches from anyone who feels they may have items of interest for me to purchase for the catering side of the business. My email address is: tmybr@aol.com.

I took Max, my four year old to school this morning and his teacher told me that he had been selected to be a Wise Man in the school nativity play. He was thrilled and I was really pleased for him, but I felt slightly saddened when I realised that I would miss his first performance due to being in the pub. What made it worse was when I was told that his mum would not be allowed to video him because of concerns regarding the video getting into the hands of paedophiles. We really do live in a sick society! I will be so pleased when my family join me permanently in East Prawle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great site you have here :)
Savings Account