Search with Google

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Curmudgeons R Us




Wyomissing is a borough in Pennsylvania, USA. It has a population of around 8,500 and boasts some marvellous scenery. In November 1965 it lost one of its inhabitants. Mr K. was dispatched to our shores, he says by his own volition, however I think he was banished for being too curmudgeonly. He now resides in East Prawle with his family, who I hasten to add are nothing other than friendly and nice to be around. Mr K. is like the voice in your head that never goes away. "Are you going to serve me or are you just going to stand there all expletive deleted night?" This may be followed by a pointed and equally barbed comment about the idea of a blog being something to do with posting on a regular basis - something I admit I fail to do! His voice buzzes around my head like an unwanted blue bottle. The only way I have found to soothe this savage beast is by serving him a fine single malt whisky. His current preference is Caol Ila (Gaelic for 'the Sound of Islay'). I must admit I have tried it and found it to be a fine wee dram. The smokey taste stays with you and it is very mellow as it slides down. Mr K. dispatches this nectar with relish and then insults me in a much friendlier fashion. You see, he has cultivated this image of being an old curmudgeon, but really he is quite a nice chap, although he will now abuse me to high heaven for suggesting as much. I look forward to his next broadside in anticipation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ace blog ! I am not going to say it is 'Awesome' or you will think the yanks have arrived...

You have definitely done the right thing.

I got a payoff from a 'leading high street' bank some months ago and have turned forty...

Things are going pear-shaped in the corporate world - expectation that people will work 50 - 60 hour weeks and travel for several hours a day.

Absolute nonsense ! Okay if you have no wife, kids, life, imagination etc. etc. - but not the British way. Having loads of dosh is not a substitute for having fun - unless you are an American or Japanese 'salarymen'...

Where is your pub ? Being in Bristol and living a 'car-free' life at the moment [get on that carbon footprint bandwagon..] may be a little out of my way, but when the summer does turn up...

If you get a chance, have a look at the book 'How to be free' by Tom Hodgkinson. He has downshifted in a big way to reclaim his life after working in London. Truly it is the way of the future...Best of luck..